Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Our Osprey Nest- the Week of August 16th


The occupants of the Osprey nest next to our dock at the cottage kept us busy this past week, and like clockwork, we'd hear them at dawn and at sunset chattering away from the nest overlooking the lake. During one of my daily morning walks up the road, I discovered one or two of them hanging out in a dead tree in a field, with the third one flying overhead, it was a beautiful sight.  

So in no particular order, here's our Rose Street Osprey family:





It was extremely windy on Monday and Tuesday, and at times we frequently risked being impaled by significant branches that would blow right out of the nest and land on us our dock (especially exciting for our dinner guests on Tuesday evening), necessitating more liquor constant re-building of the nest each morning...





...which would certainly work up an appetite:










On Tuesday morning, an adult flew in and landed in a tree. I have yet to get a recent photo of the banded parent, which Barb and Phil Puxley were curious to see after I told them of this, in fact they asked to see this nest after our initial meeting in Bobcaygeon:












The highlight of the week took place across the lake at sunset on Monday evening, a "date night" for the parents as they frolicked over and in the water together at the Golden Hour, it was charming to watch:






















These Osprey continue to delight us, and I'm now reluctantly counting the days until they depart for the season, but I'm also hopeful that they'll make a safe journey and come back to us again next year!



2 comments:

Glen Webber (Wildlife Photography) said...

Another great Osprey post. I've enjoyed reading these.

janice.melendez said...

Thx so much, Glen, it's taken me a while to get caught up- more to come later this week, too!