Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Monday, August 23, 2010

CKL 24 plus Lindsay Area- August 19, 20


On both Thursday and Friday mornings Robert went paddling so I skipped out to relieve my twitch and found some really good birds, including two Lifers (although I'm so dumb when it comes to warblers I didn't even know it at the time). 

Thursday's highlights included the tagged female Osprey by the Emily Creek bridge on CKL 24, you can see the wire on her back, which will be "turned on" soon once she heads south so they know exactly where she migrates to:







Several Green Herons flew overhead from the marsh next to Birch Point Marina, I was fortunate to see them as I returned the next day with no such luck:











Ditto with several Common Loons that flew towards Emily Creek, calling all the while:








Friday morning saw a beautiful mist in the distance over Emily Creek:




The family of Hooded Mergansers are still enjoying the area...





...as are Great Blue Herons:




Another surprise for the day was stumbling upon a new Osprey nest that I somehow had missed on CKL 24 near Scotch Line, it's at the centre top:




A young Osprey flew into a branch next to the nest...




...then soared overhead to check me out, I love the orange eyes looking at me (double-click on the image to see more detail, then hit the BACK button to return to the blog):







One of the parents arrived later:








My next stop was the Lindsay Sewage Lagoons, I was pleased to see soooo many species getting along (Great Blue Heron, Canada Goose, Wood Duck, Caspian Tern, Mallard)




Here are my two I'm-such-an-idiot-for making-all-the-wrong-assumptions Lifers for the day, welcome to my Warbler Hell. Are they male or female, immature or adult, in breeding plumage or fall plumage, can someone just shoot me now? And here I thought they were merely dumbass young Yellow or Yellow-rumps, but nooooooooooo, John finally caved and gave me the answer out of sympathy,  no doubt he could hear my sobs from the cottage as I pulled my hair out.

A Nashville TennesseeWarbler:








Cape May Warbler:







Actually, I knew what they were all along, but was just messin' with John to see if he knew what they were, sssshhhhhhhhhhh




At Ken Reid Conservation Area, the young Osprey was on the nest:




I ended my morning at Highway 35 and Colborne Street on the outskirts of Lindsay where there's a flooded field that's home to mostly Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls, but I'll continue to visit it in the coming weeks as it was a good shorebird stopover last year.  


Off to see what awaits me this morning now (more warblers??? noooooooooooo)

And YES, Ann, I'm still behind with our few days together in early-August, arghhhh.........



No comments: