Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

As for the REST of Today, just how HOT was it??


...it was sooo hot that this young Osprey on CKL Road 24 by Kenstone Beach Road was already panting as of 9:00 a.m.:






Even though I left the cottage in good time today, it turned into a car-birding session in the comfort of the air-conditioning. 


In addition to the Northern Parula I discovered by the beach near Emily Creek, this young Yellow-rumped Warbler, probably a female, was in the very same cedar:










 





My usual Warbler trap by the demolished bridge was empty, so I left for an area northeast of Bobcaygeon that a birder had told me about a few years ago called Nogie's Creek, which also was quiet on the birding front but incredibly beautiful on the scenery front:


 











Other than a pair of Wood Ducks that I inadvertently flushed and Black-capped Chickadees, it was dead (I had arrived too late, coupled with the heat and humidity), but the stunning views of the creek more than made up for it. Nogie's Creek runs parallel to Bass Lake Road, which is what I followed for the better part of an hour. This area appears to be a snowmobilers haven in the winter, based upon the number of signs I saw along the way.


An interesting sign of another sort caught my attention:





I continued on to the north side of Sturgeon Lake in the comfort of my car, driving along St. Alban's and Martin's Roads, but found nothing other than relief from the heat inside the car. But my Northern Parula Lifer at the start of my day more than made up for it!

 

No comments: