Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Oshawa Harbour... and NOT Your Grandmother's Fur Stole



Today as the forecasted rain held off, I returned to Oshawa harbour for the Pacific Loon that was still in the area and was fortunate to briefly see it again, one of two now, in fact!!


There were still numerous Common Loons on the lake and in the canal along the pier...






...but by far the most common bird today was the Red-breasted Merganser, just hundreds of them were seen:









They frequently changed locations on the lake:















What a difference in numbers compared to mid-day yesterday afternoon when there were only a few there, but this trio certainly enjoyed their body-surfing sessions in the northwest winds:












On my way out, this beautiful little mink caught my attention! This was not the first time I've seen one, as they're common around Humber Bay Park in the winter on the rocks and ice, but for sure today's encounter was my closest ever, with minimal cropping needed on these photos below, and at times it was too close for my lens:






It's checking me out here, as I tried making those ridiculous sounds that bring squirrels and chippies in close, with great success, who knew??!!






The white patch on the lower lip is seen quite well here (as was a reflection of myself in its left eye, seen when I was editing the photo!!):







The body is long, with compact legs and partially webbed feet:


 







Their diet consists of fish and other aquatic life, small mammals (rabbits especially), and birds, particularly waterfowl (nooooooooooooo, as long as it's not one of our target birds!):






I left for Second Marsh and followed the west side trail for a bit, but it was fairly quiet, other than Black-capped Chickadees, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Downy Woodpecker, Belted Kingfisher, Mallards, Hermit Thrush, Northern Harrier, a Great Blue Heron...




...and American Tree, White-throated, and Song Sparrows:






No comments: