Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Now that it's October...


...I'm enjoying the fall colours that are almost at their peak now around the cottage. I escaped the rain and cloud that's been loitering around just south of here for the past few days and drove north to Kinmount this morning with Brenda to check out another section of the Victoria County Rail Trail for some exercise. Sure enough, it wasn't too long before sunshine and blue skies were everywhere, so we followed this 55 kilometre trail out of Kinmount, which is actually the former CN Rail line which was built beginning in 1874 and runs all the way to Lindsay. The trail section we took hugs the Burnt River, yup, the very same river we kayaked on a few weeks ago. 





I opted to not schlep my big camera with me today, and fortunately it was quiet on the bird front, other than Golden-crowned Kinglets, Black-capped Chickadees, American Robins, and Dark-eyed Juncos, phew!


Brenda's trying out her new camera that will accompany her to Haiti three weeks from now at the Crego Creek Bridge:






The scenery was beautiful, and other than one other walker and an ATV driver (grrr), we saw no one in the three and a half hours spent there:














Here's proof that we did at least 13.2 kilometres today (=6.6 km x two), but we figured in the end it was closer to 15 kilometres based on some side trails that we explored along the way:






...and just how tired was I? I was sooooooooo tired that I melted away into this Muskoka chair at the end of it all:






On the home front back at the cottage, the past two evenings have had spectacular sunsets from the dock, last night's looked like this:






Tonight's was equally impressive, and much to my surprise, a Common Loon was heard calling off in the distance, although I could not locate it:










So for those of you in the GTA with the rain today, EYHO!!

But there won't be too many more of these left for this season, each one is a gift! 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The sunsets are spectacular and I consider myself lucky to have witnessed a few personally over the years but these are, I think, even better. And please include more of the fall colours for homesick ex pats as, if I miss Canada at all, it's in the fall when the maples do their thing.