Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Friday, June 11, 2010

Red-Eye Special- and Another Treat


Our first night back up at the cottage was spent listening to the Hounds of the Baskervilles, I kid you not, from 10 p.m. until sunrise there were two dogs barking incessantly around the area for most of the night, somuchso that I even went out at 3:30 a.m. armed with a leash and a flashlight looking for them. No luck as they were far back in the woods, but mainly because I spooked myself out so I retreated back to the safety of the cottage. My mother slept through it all, but in speaking with neighbours this morning, Jim saw two white dogs on the back road, probably hunting dogs that were on the loose, doing what they're trained to do, in this case terrorize the nocturnal critter population (maybe that's why I couldn't find the fox kits this morning). Let's hope they find their way back home tonight or I'll kill myself.  


In keeping with my red-eye state of mind this morning, I successfully found the ever-silent (NOT) Red-eyed Vireo, and this time his red eye can be seen: 


(...am still lovin' Bell, this photo took a mere four seconds to down-load!!)


The local Ospreys were present in a tree in front of the cottage, and I must research why they're adding sticks to what appears to be a nest this late in the season, unless it's a trial run for next season???




Here are some flight shots of one bringing in a stick:









There's apparently a Green Heron that hangs out in a neighbouring tree, so I'll have to keep an eye out for him, too!  



No comments: