Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tuesday May 25: Lindsay Sewage Lagoons, Thickson's Woods



Before returning home to Whitby, I went to the Sewage Lagoons to see if the Yellow-headed Blackbird had stayed around but unfortunately could not re-locate him, perhaps he had been driven off in the end by the marauding Red-winged Blackbirds.

As I drove into the area, I was greeted on the road by two families of Canada Geese with probably two dozen goslings, here they are out on the water now in one of the cells:



I searched in vain for the Yellow-headed Blackbird, but instead was astonished by the annoying insect population that had hatched since my last visit there on Friday, is now time to bring out the Watkins, arghhhhhhhhhh.

I found this baby Red-winged Blackbird alll hunkered down, doing a pretty good Friar Tuck impersonation as far as his "lid" goes, check out the round pattern of downie feathers on its head, he/she broke my heart as it just sat there, not moving an inch, I almost missed him/her:




The Black Terns were on the move over the water, but they really must get some voice lessons, as their squeaky calls are far too insipid for birds that are so graceful with their aerial displays:




On the way out, this Song Sparrow made me proud, the first one was showing off her latest catch:






The Tree Swallow was basking in the morning sun in a tree above me:



I returned home to Whitby and unexpectedly ended up meeting John at Thickson's Woods, with the lure of a reported Prothonotary Warbler dangling in front of us, but it was not to be (today). Instead, we found two new Lifer Thrushes (for me), a Swainson's Thrush, and a Gray-cheeked Thrush, sweeeeeeeeet!  

No comments: