Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Orphan Pics from Friday May 7th's Reifel Outing

In my haste to post on Friday evening, I neglected to include information on Reifel Bird Sanctuary, along with some other orphan "stuff", so here goes.

Reifel is located on Westham Island, in the heart of the Fraser River Estuary and is a birding mecca for the province. What Point Pelee is to "Back East" birders, Reifel is to "West Coast" birders, IMHO. I first visited here last November and was fortunate to see thousands of Snow Geese that begin arriving each year in October, which could tally over 80,000 in a peak year! 




The setting is spectacular, even moreso when the sun's out, contrary to the dismal weather I experienced during my initial visit here last fall:



This is the observation tower (just right of centre at the top, blue colour) overlooking the ponds, with the North Shore mountains as a backdrop:



Other views from Reifel, admittedly with the 400 mm lens:






I came across what appears to be British Columbia's version of Queen Anne's Lace-on-steroids, this sucker was huge, you have no idea:



This fellow was in the woods on my way out, and not having a clue what it was, Les kindly advised me that he's "95% sure" it's a Hammond's Flycatcher, given he only had these pics to go by. Works for me, Les, thanks, unless anyone else has a suggestion???





Ah, yes, the nesting Sandhill Crane, what can I say??!! This notice below was posted at the entrance gate, and lucky for me I did not encounter the "male walking with his neck outstretched", as he would have beaten me to a pulp, yikes:



Timeline for the eggs:



Here's mom (nice tush), those eggs of hers appear to be twice the size of Costco's baking potatoes, if you can imagine:




And to wrap up today's posting, I have had negative feedback that I'm not posting enough photos of my trash birds Bald Eagles, so here are some more, Ann, all found at Reifel within minutes of my arrival, arghhhhhhhhh:











4 comments:

Ann Brokelman said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Ann

Unknown said...

Expecting great things after today's outing. Keep thinking it can't get any better - and then it does another quantum leap. Keep going. x

Rick Wright said...

Sounds like fun! The gray bird is a Townsend's Solitaire.

janice.melendez said...

Thx so much, Rick, am thoroughly enjoying each day's adventure(s) here in your province! Re the Solitaire, I have posted a correction, appreciate your help!