Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sunday, April 11, 2010: Scarborough Specialties with Ann

Robert and I met up with Ann this morning, and enjoyed great success with some beauties. Still struggling w the new camera, as it's soooooooooo easy to stay in The Safe Place and avoid MANUAL settings, but with Ann's patience and great advice that she so willingly shares with us, I'm taking baby-steps out of my Safe Zone.

Highlight was a Screech Owl, who had been harassed by squirrels.






My second BOTD was this male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (he has a red throat that the female lacks), he was going insane drilling holes in this tree, which he will return to later for the sap and any insects the sap will attract. Notice the holes on the tree trunk:






Also took an interesting shot of the frequently-overlooked Crow:


No comments: