Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Staying Local Today


Taking advantage of the decent temps and sunny conditions, especially for November, my first stop was at the Oshawa Harbour. Although I dipped on the Pacific Loon (which was reported mid-day, after I had left), there were plenty of Red-breasted Mergansers out on the lake as well as in the canal:








As I left Oshawa to head to the Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch, I kept a watchful eye out for local as well as any migrating raptors, and one was spotted along Victoria Street, just west of Thickson Road. Heading south on Hopkins and dodging transport trucks from the steel plant I'm an idiot, I re-located the hawk not only by sight but by sound as well, a beautiful Red-tail:




Suddenly two more appeared and circled overhead with the first one, soaring way high up in the sky, no doubt moving through to warmer climates, but it was their calling back and forth to one another with that distinctive "keeeeeeee-r-r" that was fascinating!

Timing is everything- I was able to catch that moment in time as they were calling out:











At the Hawk Watch, I wondered if these same three hawks made it to Jean's hourly count! During the time I was there, we had more Red-tail's move through, as well as Rough-legged and Red-shouldered Hawks, a Peregrine Falcon, and a Golden Eagle still not giving it a Tick on my Life List quite yet, need a closer look!




No comments: