Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Friday, November 19, 2010

Hoodie Heaven


One of this week's stops with Ann yielded this spectacular male Hooded Merganser that put his magic spell on me, so much so that I returned a few days later, spending three full hours sitting next to a dead fish carcass under a bridge (!) taking photos of him, so here goes:



















...taking a sip of water:




The Hooded Merganser is the smallest of the three that we have here in North America:




...he still looks amazing with his crest down:





...a view of a foot, both of which were constantly moving underwater, even when he was snoozing:








I was saddened to learn that he's a bit of a bum when it comes to parental responsibilities, as he ditches the female after only a few weeks of bonding, at the onset of incubation:






Several Mallards kept me amused during the Hoodie's snooze sesssions:










...an occasional breeze gave the Hoodie a tousled look:





...a nasty wake-up call by a Mallard on a collision course upset him:




No comments: