Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Black and White


I am perplexed by my uncanny ability  FREAK to be in ridiculously close proximity to Turkey Vultures as two more separate encounters took place last week with these dark beauties IMHO, as opposed to all of you naysayers, YOU know who you are.

The first encounter occurred when I saw an adult Turkey Vulture fly up to a dead snag:   





I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Turkey Vultures like to snap at the air in an attempt to catch annoying bugs:





Turkey Vultures keep trying to catch annoying bugs:





The next Turkey Vulture was seen a few minutes later on a back road I'd never explored before. I stopped and crawled over to the passenger side of my car and managed this photo from inside before it no doubt would take to the skies:





I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Turkey Vultures like to preen LOST CAUSE :








Did I mention I was now out of the car, standing right next to it?







I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Turkey Vultures like to preen STILL A LOST CAUSE:








Turkey Vultures move around every so often to maintain a good grip on their perch:








I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Turkey Vultures are tenacious preeners:














Turkey Vultures like to snap at the air in an attempt to catch annoying bugs:











I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

I am certain I was relieved to be facing this Turkey Vulture at that particular moment:























I continued on my way and discovered more beasts and birds:





I was almost back home at the cottage when a Belted Kingfisher caught my eye. Of course a quick u-turn was in order, but then something unexpected and white blinded me:





I had seen a Great Egret fly over the highway the day before but had no time to chase and, quite frankly, I had almost forgotten the distant encounter. 

Until now, that is. This tiny marshy ditch was usually occupied by a Great Blue Heron but last Wednesday a beautiful Great Egret was in its place:














I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

This Great Egret was not bothered by my presence, so I watched it hunt:














I had no idea how long this was going to continue. 

I was so close it was impossible to get its entire body in the frame:





I was able to finally properly position myself to observe all of it: 














I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Great Egrets look anywhere and everywhere for food, even directly below where it's standing:








By now there's a bit of traffic on this quiet back road, was this to be my last view? 

No, it only flew just a short distance along the ditch:








I finally catch a glimpse of those dark legs and feet through the vegetation:





I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Great Egrets are stealthy hunters AND CAN MAKE ME LAUGH, TOO:











Great Egrets are patient, earning every meal they catch:














Down the hatch:








Was that it? Nope.

I like to watch.

I like to observe behaviour.

Great Egrets are stealthy hunters as I observe another successful catch:














Down the hatch:








Twenty minutes have already passed.

The Great Egret is so focused on feeding that it ignores a Mennonite family (including two horses!) who has stopped to ask me to identify the "beautiful white bird" I'm watching. 

But my luck runs out when a large diesel truck slows down and then loudly gears up again:





 


What an exciting afternoon of contrasts: darks with the Vultures, whites with the Egret! 


All wrapped up once back home at the cottage with a colourful sunset:



No comments: