Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Monday, June 16, 2014

Rhapsody in Blue


Last year Indigo Buntings teased me with their urgent and rapid warbling song but only gave me fleeting glimpses of them during my travels, grrrr. So imagine how thrilled I was to see at least one had returned to a back road they were known to frequent just minutes from the cottage, first heard and then eventually seen during a Pickering Naturalists' outing I hosted on Saturday. Great views were enjoyed by all, so the next day I went back and spent quite a bit of time with this one handsome male:











Indigo Buntings are accomplished singers that don't restrict themselves to only the morning, I visited this road three times during the day and each time heard him singing away: 








He fluttered his wings at times, such a pretty bird:











A view of his back revealed some brown mixed in with that stunning blue: 








His upper bill is black, and lower mandible is blue-gray:











Head-on flight shot!













Welcome back, Gorgeous, how I've missed you!


No comments: