Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Saturday, June 25, 2011

An Early Morning Carden Trek


Still savouring the magic of my Goatsuckering trip from the week before, I drove back to Carden last Monday morning.

This endangered Loggerhead Shrike was seen right away in a tree at the roadside, before flying further back into the bushes, in fact I heard it before seeing it, this being the first time that I've ever heard their call:










Continuing north, a Wilson's Snipe chilled on a fence post:






Much to my surprise, a single Common Nighthawk was flying overhead, I had no idea that they were also daylight hunters, but I suppose you eat when you can, depending upon your diet, right?





I dipped on the Golden-winged Warbler by the marsh, but this male Red-winged Blackbird reminded me of why I do not miss the big-shouldered look from The Eighties although he does look quite dapper, I must say:






You know the birding day has slowed down when I attempt artsy photos of butterflies, in this case a Tiger Swallowtail...







...the underside of its wings are covered in pollen, better seen if you double-click on the photo:






So all in all it wasn't a bad hit-and-run Carden trip that saw both a butcher-bird and a daytime goatsucker!

No comments: