Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Monday, January 24, 2011

Frozen Part Deux



I began Day Two of our brutal winter temperatures feeling quite sorry for these Canada Geese and Mallards that were all huddled together in some open water:





The frozen feathers of these Canada Geese makes one think that they've been sprinkled with a bit of icing sugar! hey, it's the baker in me, what can I say??:





A Barred Owl sits on a branch as the snow comes in off the lake:






Sweet! sorry, Les






I then met up with Skip and John in Brooklin where they both put me under enormous pressure to find Bohemian Waxwings for them- or should I say Waxwing singular, as that's all we saw, in exactly the same spot as yesterday, mixed in with American Robins:










From there we drove around the various concessions and didn't see very much else, other than House Finches, American Goldfinches, American Tree Sparrows, Black-capped Chickadees, American Crows, Common Ravens, and Snow Buntings. 


As we returned back south to "central" Pickering, we saw a Red-tailed Hawk soaring over us, giving its wonderful "keeer-r-r" cry, what better way to end our day together!


FOOTNOTE: this posting may be brief, but be aware that it took forever for me to complete due to certain individuals distracting me with e-mails that went on and on ad nauseum, grrrrrrrrrrrr 

...kidding! I love you guys :-)  



No comments: