Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Friday, September 3, 2010

Beating the Rain but NOT the Humidity on Thursday, September 2


I can tell autumn is almost here now by the bird world, based on the number of warblers I've encountered this past week, as well as the number of raucous Blue Jays in the area, and these Red-winged Blackbirds that are in serious staging mode before they head south for the season. This is what greeted me at CKL Road 24 by the bridge over Emily Creek:












The Hooded Mergansers are in no apparent rush to leave quite yet, though, as they're having too much fun with those crayfish:











A new year bird for me was this Black-throated Blue Warbler in the trees by the beach:





I'm now officially jaded when it comes to Yellow-rumped Warblers, which were rampant everywhere:






A first year Red-eyed Vireo was in the cedars across the road from the beach:






A Common Loon was enjoying the day by the bridge, despite the high concentration of Red-winged Blackbirds:











This pair of Osprey on the wing is becoming a rarer sight with each passing day, sigh as their migration has already begun:











Some old familiar faces have finally returned to the Lindsay sewage lagoons, including adult and immature Bonaparte's Gulls:





The postocular spot on the head...





...eventually looks like this:




My first American Wigeons for the season are back. The first photo is definitely an eclipse male with the distinct head pattern, but the second photo may be either males or females, I'll have to take a closer look through my scope next time!









When I returned back to the cottage, I was thrilled to see an adult Common Loon swimming on the far side of the lake with a first year (that small grey blob on the right, sorry). This was the first time ever that I've seen a young one here at the lake, let's hope for for a closer view of them before they leave for the year!



 

No comments: