Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Learning the Tools with a Turkey Vulture


Common Grackles mobbing a most cooperative subject (not to mention one of my favorites!) caught my eye a week ago on a back road, allowing me a ten minute practice session with my new camera equipment:





The Turkey Vulture was now free of the Grackle mob, settling in on the fence post to perform its morning rituals:  








Its massive wingspan exceeded my lens capacity... 





...but not for long:





Recognizing I was about to run into trouble again with the wingspan, I switched over to the zoom lens and forced myself to experimented with the camera settings, something I'd successfully avoided until now:











Sure enough, the "big" show resumed:














I was reminded of a Ziegfeld Follies production, but on a much smaller scale, when it slowly began to sway back and forth, from side to side, holding one wing in close to its body and opening up the other wing like a fan!








It even attempted to catch flying insects, something I'd seen before last year at the roost...





It dropped down to the muddy field:











And I continued on my way, pleased with the ten minute encounter to play with my camera settings!


No comments: