Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Friday, April 29, 2011

Hit-and-Run to the Cottage for Windstorm Damage


After spending the early morning hours with Kate and Wills in London via satellite (I declined the invite as I couldn't miss out on spring migration!),  I scooted off to the cottage to check out the area for damage. Our place dodged yet another bullet, while others weren't so lucky:









Hydro One crews from as far away as Sudbury and Thunder Bay were helping the Kawarthas crew with the removal of two massive white pines that had been knocked down by the winds and blocked the road. The roar of chainsaws filled the silence that I had enjoyed so much earlier in the week, much to the chagrin of the local Merlins and Osprey too, so I wandered down to the swamp.

Common Grackles were flying in and out of trees with nesting material:






A pair of Common Loons sought shelter from the brisk northwest winds in the back swamp, perhaps the very same pair that had entertained me out on the lake on Monday??






One of the pair continued to swim in very close to me, as I was able to use a neighbour's boathouse as a blind:





























What a treat to be so close to them, even if they were having an "off day" for any courtship displays! By the time I returned back home, power had apparently been restored to the area, although the clean-up crews will certainly be busy in the days to come.




No comments: