Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Friday, December 17, 2010

Raptor Wrap-up for the Week



Between Christmas errands today I managed to see a few good hawks in the south end of Oshawa, beginning with this gorgeous Northern Harrier:




...not the best background, but the wing markings are beautiful:




...up, up, and away:




There were also lots of Red-tailed Hawks in the area, a pair in the meadow north of Thickson's Woods were calling to each other. This one was being chased off by an American Kestrel, flying right over my car:










As for passerines at Thickson's Woods, the usual suspects were out in full force, with this spectacular female Northern Cardinal getting the "best-dressed" award for the day, what a sophisticated lady she is!














So that wraps up my week. More importantly, I had to get this posting done before Ann publishes hers, as the photos she's about to share will put these ones of mine to shame :-(


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Comparisons are odious. These are remarkable pictures of amazing winged beasts. You are a wonderful photographer in your own right! Thanks as always for sharing.