Totally captivated in 2007 by the live camera feed of the Hornby Island nesting Bald Eagles in B.C., I was drawn into birding and have never looked back. Thus begins my account of what I'm fortunate enough to discover each day and perhaps capture with my camera.



Unless otherwise stated, all images were taken by and are the property of Janice Melendez

Species Counts:

2014 Final Year List: 255; 2015 Year List a/o June 5, 2015: 235; Life List: 327

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Summer Doldrums Again...


I returned to the marsh again this morning in search of my Green Heron with no luck... This is what makes birding so interesting or not as one never knows what to expect! The usual suspects were there, though, including Wood Ducks, Spotted Sandpipers, Eastern Kingbirds, Eastern Phoebes, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, and Virginia Rail.

My next stop was the Claremont Conservation Area, and yup, it was quiet there too, but I was pleased to at least get some good walking in! 

A Red-tailed Hawk was chilling on a utility pole, but was chased off by mobbing American Crows, look how messed up both birds are with their feathers, yikes:





Other than Black-capped Chickadees chattering away and Cedar Waxwings zzz-zzz-zzz'g away, some Indigo Buntings entertained me with their midday songs and call notes:





The pale-brown female has faint streaks on her breast:




Am off to meet Ann tonight at the Red-tailed Hawk's nest, so I'm assuming that the photos will be more plentiful later on...



No comments: